“Colonel P.” Memorial Golf Tournament
Seton School’s annual “Colonel P.” Memorial Golf Tournament is hosted by the Seton Athletic Boosters and honors Colonel Michael Pennefather (affectionately known as “Colonel P.”), beloved deceased Seton teacher and coach. Colonel Pennefather, who past away in 1998, loved teaching and coaching students at Seton. He had a profound impact on many youths – changing their lives because he cared for them. Additional information about Colonel P. are available here.
In addition to the golf tournament the legacy of Colonel Pennefather lives on with a college scholarship for a graduating male and female student-athlete exemplifying the values espoused and demonstrated by Colonel P. Funds for this scholarship, as well as for the many other good works of the Seton Athletic Program come from the proceeds of the “Colonel P.” Memorial Golf Tournament, the only fund-raiser of the program.
In part through Seton Athletics’ efforts we have a school full of happy, healthy wholesome students who we want to stay that way by keeping them active and involved in athletics. However most profound are the many life lessons student-athletes learn through a commitment to Seton Sports.
An excellent resource to further your understanding of the positive impact of Seton Athletics on our student-athletes is: What Good Are Seton Athletics?
Annual Fund Raiser Supports Seton Student-Athletes
Proceeds from the “Colonel P.” Memorial Golf Tournament annual fund raiser helps offset the day-to-day operating expenses of the Athletic Program such as field rental, referees, equipment, transportation, and uniforms. Additionally, each year the tournament committee seeks to provide a gift to the Athletic Program – needed items that the Athletic Program could not otherwise obtain, and would benefit the student-athlete.
Past gifts include:
• A 15 passenger activity bus for team transportation to away matches.
• Ice maker in gymnasium for injuries and cool water for athletes during games.
• Financial assistance for soccer and lacrosse teams to practice and host matches at the privately-owned Grizzly Sports Complex facility’s turf fields which offers a less time-restrictive and superior playing environment to the public park fields previously utilized.
• A needed second scoreboard in gymnasium.
• Replacing 25 year-old lights in the gymnasium with a much brighter, more functional, and energy efficient lighting system. As this space is a multipurpose facility and in constant use by the school the efficient lighting system saves hundreds of dollars each month in electricity costs and benefits the entire school.
• Conquistador logo-emblazoned padded chairs for the home and visiting teams as well as for officials at the scorers table for volleyball and basketball.
2020 Golf Tournament
It’s our 20th Anniversary Colonel P. Memorial Golf Tournament on Tuesday, October 13!
This significant milestone of 20 successful Colonel P. Memorial Tournaments will be celebrated in style with even more fun, some extra special event features, and even a surprise or two! Check out our website at “refreshed” setongolf.com for more details and stay tuned for updates.
For the last two years our tournament at the private Piedmont Club has sold out nearly a month in advance. What will it be like this year with a 20th Anniversary celebration added to the already premier golf experience? It will be epic! So please register early to ensure your space.